The solution for Tooth Lose
When the patient has a tooth extracted, that tooth should be replaced. Dental implant is one way to help patients who lose their teeth return to normal tooth function and also provide esthetically pleasing result that leads to good quality of life in long run. Therefore, understanding about dental implant is something everyone should know.
What is Dental Implant?
Dental implants are titanium or ceramic screw-like that inserted into jaw bone.
Dental implants are used to replace crowns, bridges or removable dentures to replace lost teeth. The duration of treatment depends on several factors such as quality of jaw bone and number of teeth needed to make dental implants.
Why Dental Implant?
The purpose of dental implants is to replace lost teeth. Dental implants can be used to attach crowns or bridges that are firmly attached to jaw bone. It can also be used to attach removable denture firmly, preventing it from slipping or loosing easily.
Advantages of dental implants
- The patient can eat as normal
- Easy to clean as natural teeth
- Promote good personality and confidence
- Better health and quality of life
- Long term tooth replacement option providing proper care
Before Dental Implant Surgery
When dental implant is recommended by a dentist, the preparation before starting on dental implant procedure includes:
- Seeing a dentist for a comprehensive oral examination.
- Keeping healthy. If there is a medical condition, consult your doctor before starting the treatment. In general, if the medical condition is well controlled, dental implant surgery can be done as it is only a small surgery under local anesthesia.
Dental Implant process
- The dentist performs oral examination and oral preparation.
- Take x-rays to see the amount of bones and organs involved.
- Take impression of the patient's mouth to plan the treatment.
- In some cases, additional 3D CT Scan may be required.
- Dentist perform surgery to embed the implant at appropriate position. In some cases, it may be necessary to have a bone augmentation prior to implant surgery.
- Wait for the bone to integrate with implant for 2-3 months depending on factors such as the amount and quality of patient’s bone, etc.
- When the implant is firmly integrated to the bone, the dentist will take impression of patient’s teeth to make crowns, bridges or dentures to attach on dental implants.
- Follow-up appointment will be set up for proper monitoring.
How to take care of yourself after Implant Surgery
- Brush thoroughly
- Floss everyday
- Avoid hard foods such as cartilage
- See a dentist every 3-6 months for dental checkup
Can One Day Implant be possible?
Many people have heard and wondered about One Day Implant.
Placement of teeth or crowns on implant immediately can be done but there are many factors to also consider, such as quality and quantity of patient’s jaw bone.
In addition, if dental implants placement and teeth fitting can be done on the same day, the patient should be very careful about their use. Soft food is recommended for a few months. Therefore, always see a dental implant specialist for proper risk evaluation before starting the treatment.
Dental implant is now considered the best tooth replacement option that is closest to natural tooth. Today, dental technologies have developed far more than in the past.
The treatment process has become less complicated and reduces the time spent in treatment. If you are anxious about dental implant, simply consult a qualified dentist near you for proper advice.